Month: November 2015

Paris: Fake bomb alert at Gare de Lyon

Posted on

 

A bomb alert disturbed traffic at Gare de Lyon in Paris this afternoon at around 2 p.m.

Gare de Lyon

 

The alert was published on Facebook by a user. The French police thought there was a threat. Therefore, the train station has been partially evacuated leaving thousands of people alarmed. However, the police dogs squad did not find any suspicious package. For an hour, no trains were circulating and subways did not stop at this station. Latest reports emerging from the station suggest that traffic is now regulated.

It is the second alert today in the capital. Indeed, the first occurred this morning at the Molitor Hotel where the German football team were staying. Fake alert, the German team has been rehoused in another hotel. Their captain Bastian Schweinsteiger said on Twitter that “everything is alright”.

More fear than harm…

José Kossa, IEJ3E,  Group 2

Advertisements

Kurdish Forces Retake Sinzar from ISIS

Posted on Updated on

Sinzar Kurdes
Peshmergas hoist a kurdish flag in sinjar this Friday. Photo by Bryan Denton for the NY Times

Gunfire celebrations, Kurdish flags on buildings, this is how anti-Isis forces celebrated the retake of a Yazidi town on the road of Raqqa, Isis head-quarter. Sinzar, an Iraqi town held by ISIS for 15 months, has been liberated on November 13th by thousands of Peshmergas fighters helped by Yazidis fighters.

On October 2014, the Islamic State took Sinzar and killed Yazidis men, then enslaved and raped their women. On Friday, Kurdish peshmergas forces entered the devastated city from the east side then linked with YPG, Kurdish forces from Syria who invaded the town from the west part of Sinzar.

Started on Wednesday 11th, supported by American Air Forces, this operation had been set to control the road between Raqqa, Isis headquarters in Syria and Mosul, major powerful city held by the Islamic State in Iraq.

Map Sinzar
The Sinjar strategic issues

 An armed force composed of Yazidis people also took part in the fight.

For a few weeks, it appears that Isis is losing its influence in Syria and Iraq. On Monday, French Air Force bombed an oilfield held by ISIS. Facing those losses, it appears that the Islamic state already changed its strategy, committing blind attacks, like in Beyrouth on Thursday, which killed 42 people. “For the last 15 months that I have been fighting Daesh, I have never seen them so weak, they were literally running away,” said Kurdish Forces Colonel, Kamran Hawrami.

Guillaume Dussourt, 3E2

« Share the meal », an application against hunger in the world

Posted on Updated on

The United Nations’ World Food Program launches an app called « Share The Meal » : a project that intends to revolutionize the gift.

XVM6e311b1c-8927-11e5-baf9-287e877f0991There are in the world twenty times more smartphone users than malnourished children. It is from this observation that a Berlin UN team has designed the app « Share The Meal » .

The principle : just a simple “push” on one’s smartphone to enable the United Nations to feed a child for one day. To help feed poor children, just press a button: each donation of 40 cents goes directly to the World Food Program.
« Once you’ve downloaded the app, it takes 30 seconds to register, and then you can press the button when you want. If you’re at the table, for example, simply press… A child will receive food. These 40 cents will allow to feed a child for a whole day,» explains Sebastian Stricker, the creator of the application.

1.8 million meals served
The app, launched in July in German speaking countries, has already 120,000 users. It allowed to serve 1.8 million meals in four months.

For now, the funds collected are paid to the World Food Program and they have benefited the children of Lesotho, one of the poorest countries in Africa. Besides, « Share the meal » also intends to take advantage of the migration crisis in Europe to raise awareness. The World Food Program plans to use donations to help Syrian children.

 

Victoria Hidoussi, IEJ3E G2

Daniel Radcliffe honored in Hollywood

Posted on

Daniel Radcliffe on the Walk of Fame
Daniel Radcliffe on the Walk of Fame

Daniel Radcliffe honored his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on Thursday. This event sheds light on his atypical career.

In spite of his young age, Daniel Radcliffe (26) has been a star for a long time. In 2001, we discovered a rising star with the first movie of Harry Potter’s saga while he was only 12 years old.

Fourteen years later, he finally obtained a star on the well-known Hollywood boulevard in Los Angeles.  He is part of the few artists who manage to continue their cinema career after being a child star.

The 26-year-actor looked sober with a smart grey suit and a black tie. It is the 2,565th star on the iconic Hollywood Walk of Fame, which is situated in front of the Dolby Theatre.

The British child star has become the icon of success. Daniel Radcliffe is more than a wizzard apprentice. 

Even in the “muggle” world, Daniel is shining. Harry is dead, long live Daniel.

Lisa Hanoun, IEJ3E Group 2

Russia wants to create a new anti-doping agency

Posted on Updated on

In the case of the doping corruption in athletism Russia’s sport minister Vitali Moutko declares that the country wants to create a new anti-doping agency. This occurs after the World Anti-Doping Agency accused Russia of organized doping and threatens to suspend five athletes.

la-performance-a-n-importe-quel-prix-pourrait-rattraper-mariya-savinova-(a-g-)-et-ekaterina-poistogova-(a-dr-)-qui-avaient-accroche-l-or-et-le-bronze-du-800m-aux-jo-2012-de-londres-ici-autour-de-l-entraineur-vladimir-kazarin-afp-franck-fife

Copyrights : AFP/ FRANK FIFE.

“We are ready to accredit again a laboratory or reconstruct it or create a new anti-doping agency,” declares the minister. We have already heard about corruption in Russian athletism since the Olympic Games in London in 2012.

The International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) have to gather this evening in Monaco to discuss Russia’s fate. Russians are afraid of being suspended from the next Olympic Games, which will be held in Rio de Janeiro (Brasil) in 2016.

The suspention of Russia in the next Olympic Games can be a great loss for the country, especially when Putin’s Nation is supposed to organize the Football’s World Cup in 2018.

Sabrina Alves, IEJ 3E, group 1

 

BDS called to boycott Israeli products

Posted on

Israel_-_Boycott,_divest,_sanction

On Wednesday, the European Union has decided to label Israeli products from the occupied Palestinian territories. The Israeli Prime Minister Benyamin Netanyahu considers the decision to be a support and encouragement to the BDS mouvement. In 2005, some pro-Palestinians called for sanctions against Israel. The movement, inspired by the boycott of South African products in the 1980s, was called “BDS” and today opposes the Israeli occupation calling to boycott Israeli and foreign companies operating in Israeli settlements in the occupied territories.

In France, the movement was created in 2009 after the Gaza war. Today, there are about fifty associations, including the AFD, NPA and ATTAC support the Palestinian cause. Binyamin Netanyu denounces an “international campaign to blacken the reputation of Israel.” According to him, it would be a challenge to  Israel’s existence. The French spokesperson of the BDS, Imen Habib, judges too weak the EU decision: it must be “an outright ban on these products” she said.

Léa Raccah IEJ3e

Mourning in Lebanon after a double suicide attack

Posted on

All the schools and universities in Lebanon were closed today, Friday thirteen, the day after the twin suicide bombings in a neighborhood south of Beirut. Even if the country suffered a lot of attacks, this measure had never been taken before. It is established as a gesture of emotion and mourning which the attacks caused.Liban© ANWAR AMRO/AFP

The bombings killed at least 43 people, wounded 240 others and surprised everybody. Indeed, this is the deadliest attack in Lebanon since the end of the Civil war in 1990, and the first since February 2014.

The first suicide attack occurred in a crowded commercial street in the district Bourj El-Barajneh, in the south of the city. The suicide attacker detonated his explosives vest outside a Shiite mosque, according to ABC News, and the second one blew himself up in the middle of the crowd. The assessment could have been worse because a third attacker died in one of the two attacks before he was able to activate his own explosive.

The extremist Islamic State group claimed the attack on the Shiite neighborhood of Burj al-Barajneh.

“The barbaric crime that took place in Burj al-Barajneh did not target just one region or sect but all of Lebanon from one end to the other” said the Prime Minister Tammam Salam in a security meeting to discuss the bombings.

Soraya Ben Aziza, IEJ 3E G1