The director could go to the United States to try to put an end to the rape case, of which he has been accused for 40 years.
Will that allow the case to be concluded? Roman Polanski, accused of raping a 13-year-old minor 40 years ago in California, is reportedly on the verge of traveling to the United States to conclude the case once and for all, according to TMZ. The site even says that this trip could take place “next week”. The filmmaker’s lawyer wants to enforce an amicable agreement mentioned in a document under seal. If the agreement is recognized, “Roman can come to Los Angeles and the court without fear of custody,” said Harland Braun, in a letter to the court received by AFP. The 83-year-old Franco-Polish filmmaker has not been back in the country since 1977. After 42 days in prison and then released on bail, the filmmaker who pleaded guilty to “illegal sex” with a minor had fled before the announcement of the verdict, fearing he would be heavily sentenced, despite an agreement with the US court. For 40 years the United States has been demanding extradition. In December 2016, the Supreme Court of Poland refused to open the extradition proceedings. “I forgave him,” the victim, Samantha Geimer, has repeatedly called for the final abandonment of the prosecution, wanting to turn the page once and for all. She says in her memoirs that she pardoned Polanski: “I did not forgive him for him, I did it for me.” On January 24, the director had renounced to preside the César award ceremony, the French equivalent of the Oscars, after the controversy that the announcement had triggered. A call for a boycott had been launched, along with a petition calling for his dismissal.
Jérémy Attal IEJ 3C