WORLD

Slave in Libya : Burkina Faso and the Democratic Republic of Congo call back their ambassador

Posted on

 

Source : La tribune

Numerous states expressed their indignations further the shock report of CNN showing migrants sold at auction in Libya. Auctions which regularly take place in the country by traffickers of human beings made numerous associations react all around the world. The call to demonstrate was strongly relieved on the social networks.

The United Nation Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres denounced on Monday a “inhuman” situation by the recent revelations of slaves in Libya. According to him, the people responsible for these acts could be brought to justice for possible crimes against humanity.

Ahmed Metig, the Vice-Prime Minister of the Libyan government of national union (GNU) announced the opening of an investigation. He had already released a statement on Facebook to express “his dissatisfaction” as for the reappearance of the trade of slaves in the suburb of Tripoli.

The call back of ambassadors

Burkina Faso called back on Monday its ambassador in Tripoli, declared on November 20th Minister of Foreign Affairs Burkinabe, Alpha Barry. The Democratic Republic of Congo took a similar decision, by calling back its ambassador in Libya on Tuesday. Kinshasa wants to know “the real situation” in Libya and to proceed  “a mission of repatriation” if the Congoleses are concerned.

Summit AU-EU

This report caused the indignation of African leaders. The current president of the African Union (UA), the Guinean Alpha Condé, and the Senegalese government in particular deeply reacted to the situation. The president of Niger Mahamadou Issoufou let know that the subject would be treated in the agenda of the next summit of African Union – European Union of November 29th and 30th in Abidjan.

 

Sabrina Slimani, IEJ 3F

Advertisements

A dramatic video shows North Korean soldier’s escape under fire

Posted on

Source : The Times of Israel

Today, a video showing a North Korean soldier fleeing across the border to South Korea while being shot by his former comrades, was released by the United Nations Command Wednesday. North Korea, a country deeply marked by the Kim Jong-un’s dictatorship, sees more and more of its citizens trying to cross the frontier.

The security footage released on November 13, with a wide shot of a military vehicle speeding down a street on the North Korean side of the demilitarized zone. Second step, the soldier forces the guard post ahead the bridge. Then, we can see the defecting soldier getting out from the driver’s side of the vehicle and starting to run. Four North Korean soldiers appear in frame near the vehicle.

More than 40 bullets were fired at him, South Korea’s military said last week. “He lost more than 50% of his blood by the time he arrived at Ajou University Hospital,” his surgeon Lee Cook-jong said in a conference Wednesday.
“This video marks the first time the American-led UN Command has disclosed security footage of a defection across the heavily fortified demilitarized zone (DMZ) that divides North and South Korea,” said Hochong Song, a public affairs officer for US Forces Korea. According to the UN Command, by firing across the DMZ at the defector, “North Korean soldiers violated the Korean War armistice,” a ceasefire agreement signed in 1953.

Sylvain PASTORELLI – IEJ3F groupe 1

3 missing in Philippine Sea

Posted on

Source : CNN

A military aircraft was scuffed in the Pacific Ocean, in the southest of Okinawa in Japan. The C2-A Greyhound transport plane was carrying 11 passengers from Marine Corps Air Station in Japan, to an American aircraft carrier when it crashed into the Philippine Sea around 2:45 p.m. Japan Standard Time, the Navy said. A Navy public affairs officer told CNN the plane was on approach to the carrier, but didn’t know how far away it was from the ship.

Eight people have been rescued and are in good condition aboard the carrier. Currently, US and Japanese ships and planes are searching the three other shipwrecks. The names of those who were onboard are being withheld except for their next of kin.

The cause of the crash isn’t really known, but an engine trouble may have caused the crash, according to an initial statement from the US Navy 7th Fleet.

This accident follows in the latest of a string of troubling incidents facing the Navy in waters off East Asia this year, among which two were fatal. The last two collisions were unavoidable and included the deaths of 17 sailors.

A previous report claims that the US Navy over seeks its soldiers, and doesn’t maintain correctly the equipment.

Pauline POURCHAIRE 3F G1

Russia’s confession about the radioactive cloud in Europe

Posted on

Source : FranceInfo

A radioactive cloud appeared on 29th of September in France. Until now, nobody knew the original source of this radioactive event. But this Monday, 20th of November, we can finally put a name on its creator : Russia. Indeed, the Russian meteorology agency, Rosguidromet, recognized a very high concentration of ruthenium 106 in the end of September.

Apparently, the highest concentration of ruthenium 106 was recorded in the middle of Arguaïach city, 30 kilometers from the nuclear station Mayak. Mayak was affected by one the worst nuclear accidents in 1957, when a waste storage facility blew up. But this time, the radiation which appears in Europe’s sky, isn’t dangerous for the health of people.

Do we have to be worried about radiation in Russia? Since the beginning of the month, high concentrations of ruthenium 106 was recorded 936 times. But what is this substance? A product of splitting atoms in a reactor which is also used in some medical treatments. Nothing to really worry about if there are just a few radioactive clouds in the air. However, Russia’s Greenpeace asks Rosatom nuclear company to open an investigation to be sure that the country didn’t cover an explosion or a nuclear accident.

Julia SOLANS, IEJ 3F Groupe 1

Pixar’s John Lasseter: leave of absence after sexual harassment complaints

Posted on Updated on

 

Source : ITV.com

The director of “Toy Story” and art director of Walt Disney Animation Studios, John Lasseter, has been accused of inappropriate behavior with his collaborators. He is taking a six-month leave of absence in the wake of complaints about his professional behavior.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Lasseter announced the news on Tuesday in a staff memo, where he admitted to “missteps” and behavior that left employees feeling “disrespected or uncomfortable”.

“I’ve recently had a number of difficult conversations that have been very painful for me. It’s never easy to face your missteps, but it’s the only way to learn from them,” he writes in the memo.

Among women who accuse the director is the writer and actor Rashida Jones,  who co-wrote the upcoming Toy Story 4,  and left the project after “The Lasseter” made an unwanted advance towards her.

However, the legendary art director, is the latest big name caught up by the wave of sexual scandals which have broken out in Hollywood since the begenning of Weinstein’s affair.

The throughline in most of these stories, other then powerful men abusing that power, is the entertainment industry’s quick-snap reaction to cut ties with the individuals in question.

After the current allegations against Lasseter, it would be difficult to restore a culture of trust between him and the company, given the long-standing nature of the allegations.

That fact practically ensures that the Lasseter news will engulf coverage of Pixar’s latest film, Coco, which is scheduled to open on Thanksgiving.

There have been no announcements about formal investigations into Lasseter’s behavior.

Audrey LEGRAIS,  IEJ 3F G1

President Robert Mugabe resigns

Posted on

Source : Benin Web TV

 

On Tuesday, Jacob Mudenda, Zimbabwe’s Parliament Speaker, announced that President Robert Mugabe has finally resigned. The announcement came after Zimbabwe’s ruling party ZANU-PF fired Mugabe as the chief of the party and gave him an ultimatum: resign or face impeachment.

On the same day, Parliamentarians debated on President Mugabe, criticizing him for his reputation on corruption, economic instability and threats to rule the law. During the proceedings, some delegates had shouted: “Mugabe must go!” Finally, the former head of state has handed in his resignation letter, in which he wrote that his decision to resign was made voluntarily.

Emmerson Mnangagwa, Zimbabwe’s former Vice President who was fired by Mugabe two weeks ago, will now assume the presidency. Nick-named “the Crocodile”, he will start his presidency at the ZANU-PF party after Mugabe’s expulsion.

Mugabe encouraged brutality, violence and corruption in the country and was therefore accused of misconduct abrogating his constitutional mandate to his wife. She was making utterances on business of Government and accessing classified information without constitutional authority. Mugabe always said that he would have given up power on his own terms and that he would have ruled until the age of 100.

 

Alexandra Gomes IEJ 3F

Ratko Mladic : sentenced to life prison for his crimes against humanity

Posted on

 

Ratko Mladic (74), the former military leader of the Bosnian Serbs Army, has been sentenced to life prison for genocide and crimes against humanity by the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yougoslavia. Known as the “Balkan’s Butcher”,  he was found guilty of ten counts of indictments on eleven by the Court specially created in 1993 to judge the alleged responsible for war crimes during the conflicts in the Balkans. Mladic is the last responsible for the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina, which occurred from 1992 to 1995 as well as the main actor in the Srebenica genocide, where 8,000 muslim men and boys were slaughtered.

During the trial, the accused appeared provocative, waving and smiling to the press, showing defiance to the Court. This attitude was quickly dissipated by the judges, who announced their final judgment. In the statement, the Tribunal declared that Mladic contributed “significantly” to the massacre. Also, he had “personally” directed the shelling of Sarajevo causing the death of thousands of civilians, according to the Court.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights saluted the sentence claiming that it is a “capital victory for Justice” before judging Mladic as “the quintessence of evil“. The president of the Srebrenica and Zepa enclave mother’s Association, Munira Subasic, was “partially satisfied” with the verdict.

Samy LAURENT, IEJ 3F2